Friday 8 May 2020

Friday Chat Day

Hello friends

How does this Friday find you? 
Well I hope, and coping with this topsy turvy world we 
are currently living in.
It is also a special Friday with
VE Day, I plan to make scones and raise a glass.


Last Sunday's charity kit was a sell out - big thanks
and also heartfelt thanks to those who support me on Ko-fi.
I ensure every penny of that goes towards the envelopes,
cardstock, bags, postage - it is a huge help.
I do keep that page updated with gallery pics 
of the kits so far this year so if you fancy a nose, it's here.

As per every Friday I have some ramblings for you,
first, let me answer a question for Carolyn.
You asked where I get my little labels from.
The Hope and Chances ones are from Vistaprint.
If you've received an envelope with a little postbox
sticker, these are from Lisa Galley Designs -
she's the lady who did this card design based on Bella.


Her Etsy shop is here.

And Patricia you mentioned making my lemon and coconut cake recipe. 
You are definitely a long term blog visitor - 
I first shared this recipe on my blog in September 2012 here
That blog post actually features me in a bikini...!
It is a nice speedy recipe and works so well in a food processor,
Here's the recipe again.

Lemon and Coconut Cake 

This cake recipe started off as orange and coconut but I changed it to lemon - 
I prefer lemon. 
I started baking this cake over 20 years ago, it's an 'all in one' and so easy.


4oz soft margarine
6 oz caster sugar
4 oz self-raising flour
2 oz desiccated coconut
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons of milk
3 oz icing sugar

Preheat oven to 180 C, 350F or Gas Mark 4
Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
Place margarine, sugar, flour, coconut, lemon rind, eggs and milk 
into a food processor or bowl.
Whizz for 30 seconds or beat for 2 minutes with an electric whisk.
Spoon the mixture into the tin, spread evenly.
Bake for 1 hour until golden and risen. 
Leave the cake in the tin.
Blend the lemon juice with the icing sugar.
While the cake is still hot prick it all over with a skewer and spoon the lemon mixture over.
When the cake is cold remove it from the tin.
Eat and enjoy!

Out and about...well, as far as my pocket sized garden.

My garden seems to have sprung into life this week,
with a bit of rain and lots of sunshine everything has had a growth spurt.
This little pot of plants was from last year, bought at the end of the season 
for 99p because I actually wanted the pot, I just left it hanging 
on the fence and it has all regrown - I do love it when neglect works.


Clematis is blooming and growing daily, I'm there with my little
twisty things to guide it where I want it to go.


And these pretties that reach out to the sun and close up in the shade,
you clever gardeners will know the name.


And talking of flowers...
in an effort to use up my leftover yarn I've decided:
A flower a day is my mission for May.

The pattern is from Attic 24, Polyanthus flower.
I mentioned these flowers last Friday.
I did struggle a little at first, especially when the boys said
'oh look it's got green chubby legs'! 


I feel like I'm mastering them now.
I'm thinking I'll make them into a garland and pop it up in the cabin.


In between flowers I'm working on this Cupcake blanket with a little help.


I've finished my Hydrangea blanket, it's big - covers a single bed.
Photographed folded on my washing line dappled in sunshine.


My blanket fort collection is coming along nicely.


It's been just over a year since I learned to crochet,
come and dig me out from under a deluge of blankets in a few years please!

And now it must be telly time.

I'm still on Britbox and getting through those Midsomer Murders.
It's a little macabre when you think how many murders I've seen.


And not swaying from my chosen genre, I watched Van der Valk,
the new version with Marc Warren.


A completely British crime drama just dropped into 
scenic Amsterdam.
I was all but pleading with the screen to hear a Dutch accent.
Nonetheless, watchable and Mr Warren seems to be a 
Benjamin Button - looking fine for a man of 53!

So that wraps up my week - 
oh yes, here's a little sneak peek of something I'm revealing tomorrow.
The rainbow window project - had quite a few requests for this.
I've made a limited amount of kits with donations going to the NHS.
Please stop by tomorrow morning if you would like one.


Take care and stay safe friends, have a wonderful weekend,
keep those lighthouses manned.

Much love,

8 comments:

hazel young said...

Congrats on your sell out. Loving the growing blanket collection. I love rescued pots, I call the casualty plants. Your flowers are really blooming, garden is looking good. Thanks for the recipe, will give it a try over the weekend. Loving the crochet flowers, you could hang the finished garland in your cabin. Loving Van Der Valk too, well anything murder related fits my bill. Have a good week and bank holiday, take care xx Hazel

kittyedavies47@gmail.com said...

Good Morning Christine.
Congratulations on another sellout.
Thank you for the little chat I shall be back tomorrow.
Everything looks blooming nicely in your garden.
Bella looks so cosy too.
Take care and keep safe, happy everything Kitty.

jdunkley said...

Call me mean (or call me green?) I love a 99p plant. If it grows it grows, if it doesn't its 99p not £4.99!
I love the colours in your blankets, so pretty.

Christine said...

Thank you for my card kits.
The banners are up and the flags are flying round by me too.
Love the way the plants are growing.. we have some of the daisies, we know them as Everlasting Daisies but I know there is a proper name for them....it escapes me at the moment!
I crocheted myself a lovely cardigan from Laughing Hens site, lots of free patterns if you want a change of direction.
Enjoy your week

karenlotty said...

We’ll be raising a glass to our War Heroes
We have been watching Our Greatest Generation on BBC Brilliant series Well worth watching It made us think of our parents and grandparents and their life during the Wars
My great grandad was in World War 1 (and 2) and did work with War Horses My mum was a child but when old enough worked for in the Ration office My MIL served alongside the Queen and was in Belgium doing something with radar How I wish, as a youngster, that I’d listened to their stories more intently
Your crochet looks magnificent I have a book full of crochet flowers
Sadly once again I totally forgot about the charity kits
Take care all xx

Littlelamb said...

Love all your blankets Christine. Haven’t done any of mine for a couple of weeks. A lot of birthday cards to make this month and today another sympathy card. Lovely pansies in the pot. Been in Lockdown 8 weeks today. Love your crochet flowers. Keep thinking I will try these but always finding the start off of crochet difficult. Ok once I get started. I have found another ball of yarn that matches the colours for my blanket so it will be even bigger, enjoy your weekend.

Jackie Durrant said...

Hi Christine and lovely weather for a bank holiday!! Apart from my window I can only see bunting in one other house in the close but never mind. I shouldn't worry about the crochet blanket collection growing either as it sounds as though you will need them for the next few days with the promised change in the weather. I do love all your flowers and the pink daisy type ones which open and shut with the sun are osteospermums. Have a nice weekend, Jackie xx

Patricia Howarth said...

Hi Christine, Thank you for repeating your lemon cake recipe, I know your other peeps will love this cake if they don't already have your original recipe, it is one of my favourites and worked better in my food processor than all the other times in my mixer, I can highly recommend it.
Your flowers are beautiful, especially your osteospermums, I usually always buy these plants for my borders in the summer, but unfortunately this year the garden centres have been closed and I haven't been able to buy them. My grass is thriving, I did all my lawn and borders in my front garden this morning and it had only been a week and a couple of days since I last cut the lawn and my bin is half full of grass clippings now.
I am loving all your crochet blankets, they are all such beautiful colours and beautiful patterns. I keep saying I wish I could crochet, and you put me to shame only learning 12 months ago and already doing all these beautiful patterns, I really need to 'practice what I preach' haha. Have you any tips on youtube vids to watch that will help me learn how to do it ?
I hope your Mum is continuing to improve, she is in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope you managed to make your scones and are celebrating with a glass or two. I am having a glass of red wine as we speak and my hubby is having a bottle of real ale and we have just had a sultana scone each too.
I'm glad you are enjoying your Britbox programmes, I wouldn't want to live in Midsummer haha, they are always getting murdered. I tried the first episode of Van der Valk, but couldn't take to it, I used to enjoy the original, but somehow couldn't take to this re-make.
Enjoy your weekend, stay safe, stay well.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...