Friday 15 May 2020

Friday Chat Day

Hello friends

Whoosh and it is Friday again.
I hope you are all safe and well.
I confess the easing of lockdown has worried me,
I appreciate why it has to happen, economy etc but
we as a family are still not taking any risks.
We are adhering to the 'stay home' for the moment.

So with my stay home time what have I been doing?
A few flowers...

 

One a day - my mission for May.
These are the Polyanthus flowers - a pattern by Attic 24.
They are not perfect, it depends on what time of day I'm making them -
before or after a glass of wine!
But I am keeping up and for now they are making quite a colourful display.

Also in progress is this one...
The Seaside Stash Busing Blanket.


I am learning so many new stitches with this and it is using up all 
my leftover neutral yarns.  I may need to do a few more to use
up all my other yarn!

Papercraft -

Big thanks to those who purchased a Window Rainbow Kit,
these are now sold out.  I must admit the prep for those was lengthy
so the numbers were limited.


There is just one charity kit left at the moment and that is
Mini Cards 2.  If you would like it, please click here.


I had intended to do another duo of mini cards as a few ideas sprung
 into my head one night when sleep was evading me.
What do you think?  
Would we still like cards on this theme?

Accompanying my crochet is of course watching telly
and this week I've revisited two gems.
Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes.

  


Available on BBCiPlayer, Netflix and Britbox.
Each series focuses on a police officer that goes back in time,
first to the 70's and then the 80's.
I love it - possibly because it makes me feel nostalgic,
the attention to props and detail is excellent.
If you haven't seen them, you're in for a treat.

Also this week as we are in the mist of Spring and most days 
feeling the warmth of sunshine, I felt it was perfect to make a...
Christmas cake! 
I know - a little odd, but serious cravings for fruit cake
with marzipan and icing.
And justified it by saying we are living in surreal times,
we can treat ourselves.


Back in December 2013 I included this recipe 
in a charity kit - we had made a recipe book and each month 
we was adding a recipe, tags etc.
Anyway, it is a last minute Christmas Cake as it is super speedy.

Ingredients:

1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
8oz butter
1 lb mixed fruit
10oz self raising flour
2 beaten eggs

In a saucepan place the water, sugar, butter and mixed fruit,
heat and bring to the boil - allow to bubble for 5 minutes then 
allow to cool completely.

Whilst cooling, line an 8" cake tin.

Once mixture is cool, mix in the flour and beaten eggs.
I just use a wooden spoon.
Place in a pre-heated oven, 160 degrees.
Cook for 1.45 - 2 hours.
(My oven cooks fast so mine was ready just under the 1.45).

You can of course add nuts, cherries if you have them.
It makes a nice everyday cake, it need not have the marzipan
and icing - unless you're having the same hankerings as me!
(I appreciate getting flour is tricky right now, I'm down to my last 
little bit so recipes could be different next week).


Pleased to report my Mum is doing ok, she's eating a little better.
She had to go for a scan this week, always worrying when
she is so vulnerable but the hospital insisted and looked after her.
I am lucky in that I get to see both my parents often when I visit my cabin,
still obviously adhering to distancing and talking through a window.

And this one gets a trip out each time I visit my cabin, so 
she's very happy and tired, this is her 'first thing in the morning look'.
She desperately needs a haircut, her salon is 
not reopening until July so me thinks I need to get the scissors out.


Another week wrapped up.
No big plans for this weekend as usual - 
a bit more cooking and crochet.

Keep safe, keep well and keep smiling.

Much love,

10 comments:

hazel young said...

Loving the crochet flowers and the neutral blanket is gorgeous. Glad your mum is feeling better. Hope the scan went well. Lol Christmas cake in May. I'm not a Christmas cake lover, don't like icing or marzipan either. I did make your lemon coconut cake. Omd it was delicious very Moorish. Bless Bella still looking cute despite all the hair. Have a great week xx Hazel

kittyedavies47@gmail.com said...

Morning Christine.
Thank you for the lovely chat.
I hope all goes well for your Mum.
Bella I think we are all in need of a hair cut.
Thank you for the recipe of the cake.
Your little flowers are so pretty too.
My Rainbow came yesterday it is beautiful thank you.
Take care and keep safe Kitty.

Craftychris said...

I have just been catching up as I haven't visited for a while. So sorry your Mum has been so ill but glad she is feeling better now and is home. Love your crochet flowers and blanket and Bella looks so cute as always! I think we all need a haircut, I don't intend to go out for quite a while yet so my hair will be out of control! I can't say I mind though. Stay safe! xxx

JeanD said...

Morning Christine, I’m so pleased to hear your Mum is so much better now. I love your crochet flowers, they are so pretty in pastel colours. What are you going to do with them all? I’ve just finished crocheting some rainbow coloured bunting to hang in the window beside my crocheted rainbow. I wanted to use up the bright coloured wool but I still have some left. Perhaps I’ll do some little flowers, I could do some more of the blanket I started last Autumn, supposedly for my grandson’s birthday in January. I’ve done about 8” of it!! My current project is making a sourdough starter, it’s taking over my life, or Kevin thinks it it’s! I should be able to use it tomorrow - a big day - lets hope it works. Take care.. Jean x

karenlotty said...

Great chat
I loved the two series I think Life on Mars was my favourite out of the two
You really are zooming along with the crochet and it’s lovely to hear that your mum is doing ok
We are struggling to get flour anywhere and so your recipe for the fruit cake - My OH’s craving at the moment will have to wait

Patricia Howarth said...

Hi Christine, I'm loving your crochet flowers and that coastal crochet is beautiful, you are so clever.
Bella is surely having a 'bad hair' day haha, she looks so cute though. I was speaking to a neighbour as she went past with her 'Bella' she is a cavapoo and has lots of hair, her groomer is doing one dog per day, and it was Bella's appointment this past Wednesday, she looks so much better now.
Your Christmas Cake looks gorgeous, I remember that recipe so well, I have made it quite a few times. It was your Lemon and Coconut Cake that I made this afternoon, can't wait to have a piece. One of my other favourites is your Canadian Malt Loaf, do you remember that recipe ?
I'm so glad to hear the news that your Mum is starting to eat a bit more, onwards and upwards, and lets hope her continues steadily.
I am with you on the covid-19 front, I am only going out for my hour's walk each day and my supermarket shop once a week (and I'm always so glad when that is over, as I am paranoid). My neighbours are starting to flout the rules and it is really annoying, I'm sure they don't realise exactly how serious this virus really is, I think they adopt the thinking that it will never happen to them !!
Stay safe, stay well. I will be doing my front garden tomorrow if the weather stays fine.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Margie said...

Loving the flowers Christine, so pretty and that coastal crochet throw is beautiful. I like the idea of making a fruit cake in May and as its my birthday at the end of the month I might just do that - your recipe looks nice and easy. By the way my friends and I clubbed together and got an order of self-raising and bread flour direct from Shipton Mill, in Tetbury, Gloucestershire. Its only £1.30 a 1KG bag and no delivery charge if you spend £30 between you. Any more recipes you can share would be welcome. Love, Margie xxx

Littlelamb said...

Love the flowers and the coastal blanket Christine. So glad you mum is a lot better. I, for one, am definitely not going out yet. Have got plenty of crafty things to do. My son is doing my shopping for me and did manage to get a cake mix last week. Last one on the shelf. No SR flour though. There hasn’t been any all the time I have been in Lockdown and that is 9 weeks today. I remember your Malt Loaf recipe perhaps you could give it to us again sometime. Take care and enjoy your weekend.

Srishti Verma said...

Wonderful post and article, maybe peoples are not understand but im also a writer so i can understand your hardwork, keep posting you are doing excellent to share knowledge..

robotic vacuum cleaner india

Jackie Durrant said...

Hi Christine, bit delayed as I have been a bit busy. Your crochet flowers are coming along. Are you going to put them on a blanket when you are done or some home decor? Be interesting to see. This new throw is great, definitely a beach hut kind of look to it. I know what you mean about preparing the window rainbow, mine is die cut hearts and it took ages to cut out - once I'd found the right colour card of course!! Anyway I'm glad things are ok on the home front with plenty of cake and tv and that your mum is doing ok as well. Like you I'm not rushing to go anywhere. The only place I'd like to go is to see my mum but care homes will undoubtedly be the last places to come out of lockdown. Take care now, Love from Jackie xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...