Friday 30 April 2021

Friday Chat Day

 Hello friends

Happy Friday and hope you are all well.

Is it Friday? I think it's Friday.
I am in a muddle of days this week and likely to be for a while
as I'm currently working full time for my city job.
We are super busy so I've been asked to do more days 
which is wonderful as I'm still working from home - no commute! 
I have found it way more tiring than expected, I've been in bed at 9pm each night.

Work has seriously hampered other activities though so less
crochet this week.

Crochet:

Pinksparkle asked last week whether I sew or crochet my squares together? 
I use the JAYG method (join as you go).  
I admit when I first tried it I got myself in a muddle but I followed Lucy (Attic 24) 
instructions here (scroll down quite a bit to find the method).  
I also drew myself out a little plan and now I've cracked it - perseverance does pay!
  
It does create a little more of a ridge between squares as pictured in my 
Hello Spring blanket below but I like it and it is effectively 
crocheting a final round and joining - so possibly economical too?


I'm enjoying my pattern testing project - The Spiced Biscuits Blanket
and I'm working on the final rounds of the squares
before joining. The little bobbles take quite some time...


Garden:

Isn't Spring just wonderful, I never tire of being amazed by little buds appearing.
There's a period between Spring and Summer where everything is just right
with plants, their size, shape and then it all goes a bit mad.

Montana Clematis is festooned with buds.
This one is planted in the most unsuitable pot but comes back each year.


And this Clematis is a very different flower with rich burgundy 
droplet flowers, I'm truly a Clematis fan.


And overjoyed this week to discover this...


If you squint there's a tiny tiny leaf appearing and this was the Clematis
I thought I had lost - work hard you little beauty and you may turn into this...
Florida Sieboldii.


And Sweet Peas are in - well some are.
Not the neatest job and I need to top up the soil and 
I need more loo rolls - something random I never thought I'd say! 


If you are looking to purchase Clematis online I definitely recommend 
Taylors, all their plants have 2 years growth so are well established.
Compared to the ones I bought last year in garden centres and DIY stores,
the Taylor ones are way better.
Their website is here

Telly:

I've been on a Netflix hunt this week and found two gems -
both need you to suspend reality and go on a bit of an adventure.

Letter for the King - Netflix Original

A young squire holds the fate of the kingdom in his hands as he 
embarks on a quest to deliver a secret message to the king.


I had overlooked this but then realised it is the same actor who is in
His Dark Materials and thought I would give it a go.
It's good - not great as I think some of the younger cast are not quite
credible but veteran actors hold it up well. 

Shadow and Bone - Netflix Original

Sinister forces plot against a young soldier after she 
reveals a magical power that may unite her world.


OK if you can get through the first episode and grasp what is happening
then stick with it - it gets better and better.
I spent time trying to work out what time period and place this was supposed to be
but it's impossible to work out, it's a mix of Victorian, Russian with modern elements.
That dashing chap in the photo was Prince Caspian - he's a bit meaner in this! 


Charity Kit:

On Sunday it is Charity Kit Day (didn't that come around quickly?)
and this month the chosen charity is Caenhill Countryside Centre.
Ahead of Sunday here's a little sneak peek of the kit.


Kits will be available from 7am on Sunday and I will do my
usual roundup of splashing it across social media.

Other stuff:

On the home front - Mitchell starts his new job next week,
he will have the long commute to Elliott's old room which is now his office.
(Sort of regretting I didn't make that my office!)

My freebie Freecycle shredder has been working overtime,
isn't amazing what paperwork we accumulate.
(I know you were all burning to know that!) 

And I think that rounds up this week.
I hope the weather is kind to us all for Bank Holiday,
keep safe and well everyone and please stop by on Sunday.


9 comments:

CraftyCoffey said...

Great catch up on all your news.
The crochet colours look great. Working full time definitely restricts your crafting time, doesn’t it?
The next charity kit looks lovely.

Michele

Tina Ashton said...

Hi lovely, as always a lovely read on a Friday morning and I like hearing what you're up to. Crochet beautiful as always. Good news on the extra city work, and fab there's no commute involved! Thanks for the tip on Clematis and Taylors. I'm growing lots from seed this year, first time ever, love watching the little seedlings appear! Today's job is to pot some on, but I'm not sure I have enough pots?! Never expected so many to actually appear! Enjoy your Bank Holiday lovely. Xx

kittyedavies47@gmail.com said...

Morning Christine.
Thank you another lovely chat.
Everything looks so pretty Garden and crochet.
My sweetpeas are quite tall it is the first time I have planted them they were a mother's day gift.
Looking forward to the charity kit.
Take care stay safe and have fun Kitty.

Tina Ashton said...

Hi lovely, as always a lovely read on a Friday morning and I like hearing what you're up to. Crochet beautiful as always. Good news on the extra city work, and fab there's no commute involved! Thanks for the tip on Clematis and Taylors. I'm growing lots from seed this year, first time ever, love watching the little seedlings appear! Today's job is to pot some on, but I'm not sure I have enough pots?! Never expected so many to actually appear! Enjoy your Bank Holiday lovely. Xx

Margie said...

Great catchup Christine and thanks for the tip about Taylors. I've emailed them for a recommendation and looking forward to hearing which one they suggest. I've got my sweet peas in as well and just trying some veg seeds to see how I get on with them. My garden got really hit by the heavy frosts this year so I've got a bit of work to do! Pleased your firm is really busy and great that you can work from home - certainly saves the commute! x

Littlelamb said...

Always look forward to Fridays and your chatty post. Still in hospital - over 9 weeks now. Love all your crochet. Wish I could get on with mine but I am sure the nurses wouldn’t want to keep picking up the yarn for me plus all the times the floor gets washed. My sister recommended Taylor’s for plants as well and said she hasn’t been disappointed. Not sure what I will do about plants this year. Good you haven’t got to travel to work but can do e tea hours. Hope all goes well for Mitchell. Enjoy the long weekend.

pinksparkle said...

Thank you Christine for your answer to joining crochet squares, I shall have a go! I've got lazy and shy away from trying anything new, just enjoy the steady rhythm of repetitive crochet and playing with colour. Thanks again, enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend!

karenlotty said...

Great chat I love the crochet I joined my mile a minute blanket JAYG I crochet as if I’m knitting ie yarn and hook in same hand so it’s a little awkward but easy to fathom out
Thanks for the tip re getting plants
Tele looks good but I don’t have Netflix
Good luck Mitchell Hope the commute is not too tiring!
Hope to remember to pop in on Sunday
Take care

hazel young said...

Love how the crochet is coming along. I love clematis too and yours are amazingly beautiful with the drooping and show stopper flowers. My friend was telling me about the King's Letter on Thursday and said it's very good watch. I don't have Netflix though. Love Mitchells commute and hope he has a great first day/week. Gosh Charity kit already the months seem to be flying by. I shall take a look on Sunday. Have a great week stay safe xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...